Saturday, November 5, 2011

Dreadfleet Part 3: Get in the Boat (Fish fish!)

Thoughts and tips on the latest mega-box from Games Workshop: Part 3. This article deals with the Alliance pirate ship: The Swordfysh.

Warhammer Games Workshop Miniature Dreadfleet Swordfysh

There just isn't much to say about this guy. It's a black ship with black sails covered in skeletal imagery. Yup, that's a pirate ship alright.  


Going on looks alone, I actually thought that this ship was one of the bad guys. I wanted to paint up one of the evil ships to mix things up, but when I looked under the auxiliary table, I saw that it sailed with an alliance cog. Oops. 


Easily the most time consuming part of this piece are the sails. The slightly raised images are fantastic when they're complete, but a bear to work with. I've tried several ways of painting them so far, and there just isn't an easy way to do this. That being said, a little bit of patience goes a long way, and the results speak for themselves. I got the sea-green color on the masts by putting a wash of Thraka Green over a base of rotting flesh mixed with scorpion green .


These treasure tokens were a fun little distraction one Friday evening. They're detailed just like everything else in the box, but not painfully so.


3 ships down, 7 to go. I decided after this that I'm going to aim to complete the Grand Alliance before going on to the dark side. Next up, Elves! I've cut, cleaned, and primed the Seadrake for it's tour of duty. Thankfully this time I don't have any massive images on the sails, and for a bonus I get to paint dragons!