Friday, February 10, 2012

Imperial Guard


These models are being painted for the 2012 Clean-Slate Challenge, an attempt to paint all the forgotten models accrued over the years by an enthusiastic hobbyist. 

I remember being in my BLGS (Belligerent Local Game Store) and seeing the box of 5 troopers, thinking to myself that I should really get it. I must have had a good use for the box, as I only have 2 of the original 5 models left. What happened to the other 3 is a complete mystery. If anyone reading this has any clue as to where those models ended up, I'd be fascinated to hear how and when they made their way to you from me. 

Cadia is an all-time favorite of mine from the Warhammer 40k universe. I've always been intrigued by the idea of a group of regular every-day men being trained to fight off the horrors of the universe with little more than rigid discipline and a reliable if slightly underpowered firearm. 

Warhamme r40k Games Workshop Miniature Cadian Shock Trooper

I knew the first model had to be a traditional Cadian Shocktrooper. If I had the time I would paint a million of these guys. I love the simple aesthetic of this model and how well it translates into the game. It's clean, well stated, and direct; a noteworthy contrast to the overly verbose space marines.

Micro-Lesson: Khaki with depth. 
Beige is a deceptively tough color to get just right. Yes, you can throw down a coat of Dheneb Stone, wash it with Devlan Mud and call it day; I understand IG players have a ton of dudes to get painted up. At least consider this tutorial for your Junior Officers and above.

The idea when adding depth to this color is to do it in stages. It also helps to do this before you paint any other part of the model, so you don't have to worry about messing up another color. This model starts with Dheneb Stone, and all the steps will be a 1:1 ratio of wash to water. Remember: baby steps.

  1. Ogryn Flesh: whole model
  2. Devlan Mud: undersides/shadowed areas
  3. 1:1 Mix of Devlan Mud and Thraka Green: where the uniform meets plate armor
  4. Badab Black: Darkest areas
  5. Highlight the top level areas with Dheneb Stone
With a little practice, this technique will give you nice smooth transitions in your cloth. 



I had my basic Cadian done, and I wanted to really push the weathering / battle damage with the second.

Warhammer 40k Games Workshop Miniature Imperial Guardsman

This was essentially the same paint style, except when I was done I took it a step further by adding the wear-and-tear. I really enjoy this paint style personally, but it isn't for everyone. It reminds me of one of my hardest-learned lessons: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

This guy looks great, but so does the first model. Which one should you paint? Whichever makes you happy. Unless you're painting for competition, there's never any tangible difference between techniques, only the value you assign to your own work. You are going to see these models more than any other person on the planet; make sure you like what you see.


Another two models down for the 2012 CS Challenge. Next week, a model that I literally have no idea how I got. It very well may have been put in my bitzbox by gremlins... but hey, a challenge is a challenge!