Friday, June 1, 2012

Legion of Everblight (7): Blackfrost Shard + Finishing Up!

This week we're looking at the conclusion of the everblight army project with this gorgeous set of models called the blackfrost shard. 

Privateer Press Hordes Legion of Everblight Blackfrost Shard

Before I even knew who these guys were I knew these models were intended as a unit. Though the unique sword design was a bit of a giveaway, there was something more that caught my eye. The predatory nature of the poses, the gestures referencing sword fighters of legend; there was something more to these three individuals. When I looked them up in the everblight army book, my suspicions were confirmed, the Blackfrost shard was all about the gestalt, meaning that the total effect was greater than the sum of it's individuals parts. In concrete terms, there are three ones here, but put them together at once and you wind up with a four. 

Privateer Press Hordes Legion of Everblight Black Frost Shard

Once again Privateer Press has impressed me beyond my expectations. There's just so much thought that has gone into this game, so many good ideas given time to grow and flourish. In a way, this unit is synonymous with what has really left an impression on me from hordes. It's not just the artwork, the story, the models, the gameplay, it's all of those things put together at the same time in the same place. If I had time to play games, I would be purchasing my starter box today. 

Privateer Press Hordes Legion of Everblight Warband Army Journeyman

And so we come up on the conclusion of yet another project. 2012 has seen an army painted! Next week, we're beginning the countdown to victory as the Clean-Slate challenge comes to a finish as well. I've got some huge projects lined up for this summer, and I can't wait to be able to share all the good stuff that's coming with everyone.