Friday, January 6, 2012

Dreadfleet Part 11: A Spirited Performance

Part 11 of thoughts and tips on the latest mega-box from Games Workshop. This article deals with the Shade Wraith.


Warhammer Games Workshop Miniature Dreadfleet Ghost Ship Shade Wraith

Having worked my way through so many different pieces, I felt I should save something special for my last ship. I wanted something as a treat for finishing such an extensive box. So I moved the Shade Wraith to the back of the queue, giving me something light to help put the final pieces in place.


Despite its nearly monochromatic color scheme, this ship does not fail to impress. The key to a successful paint job is pushing the contrast between the darker greens and the pure white that you find at the very tops of the masts and sails. The contrast is further heightened because of the open sides of the ship, letting you create a big difference between the pure white of the frame and the forest-green of the underside. 


Don't be afraid to use several different shades of green. I used Orchide shade for the underside, a series of Thraka green washes for the main sails, and Scorpion green for the light sources. Even just variations in the primary color can really help bring the piece to life.


The castle and skull islands came together quickly and added a fun challenge to the end of the journey.

And that's it. Dreadfleet is officially done and I'm very excited about how it all turned out. I'll be posting some concluding thoughts next week about who should consider this box, and how I feel GW handled the whole deal, and what this means for the miniature wargaming community moving forward.