Monday, August 29, 2011

Space Wolves: Part 2 of 2

I grabbed this box almost a year ago from a friend and finally got around to painting some boys from it for his wolf guard. Here are my samples and impressions on GW's plastic overload offering.



The first thing I can safely say about this box is that it is full. There isn't any wasted sprue here (unless you count the exposed faces and their haircuts, more on that later). You are just inundated from beginning to end with what seems like an endless variety of bits to make a marine wolfy. You can definitely take this kit and slam it face first into a tactical squad box and end up with 20 really nice space wolves, grey hunters or blood claws.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Wolf Guard Pack


And I really do recommend doing just that. I think that in order to get the most out of this kit in the context of an entire space wolf army, you really do need to spread the love around to make sure those pieces don't become so standard issue that you end up with absolutely no originality in your marines. As I've said before, it's only when you show the full scope that the value of the various items becomes apparent. A great example is the legs. There's only 5 legs in the box, so make them count. Standard issue armor will repeat, and to the viewer, that's fine, but when you see the same custom job a dozen times in a row, it is no longer so.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Wolf Guard Pack


And after having painted these custom items, I can safely say you don't want to have to try and paint them up a dozen times anyways. My GOD these things have a ton of detail in them. Every time I went back I was finding details I had missed. I wasn't rushing, but my mind can only grab so many details at once before it overloads. And when you try and cram them all together in a single model, it can very easily end up looking too busy. Simpler is usually better, so I recommend mixing in a healthy dose of vanilla with your norse stew just to tone things down a little bit.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Wolf Guard Pack


The other criticism I have for this box is that some of the options are just... well... stupid. I get it, they're space vikings, they have several dozen gallons of testosterone running through their genetically enhanced veins, and nothing to do but drink and kill for several hundreds years. Inevitably, some oddities are bound to crop up, but do we really need an exposed head that looks like James Hetfield circa 1996? That said, there are some outstanding designs for some of these faces, and the helmets are universally good or amazing.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Wolf Guard Pack


I just feel like at some point they had room left, and didn't know what to do with it, so they threw in some of the B- designs. This would be fine, except that there's stuff they could have included, and in my opinion should have included, that would have easily fit there. Like what you may ask? Oh, I don't know, how about some meltaguns?! Come on now, this is the age of a mech IG dominated metagame, everyone needs melta weapons, why you letting your boys down? I simply can't understand how in a box that brags of having over 25 heads per complete sprue (you get two complete sprues per box), they can't find the room for a meltagun. Truth be told, they should have included two, but that's neither here nor there.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine Wolf Guard Pack


Overall, this is a great box. Lots of cool pieces that can really turn up the appearance of a unit, but in my opinion was rightfully constructed to enhance an entire army. If you're looking to build a 2000 point wolf force from scratch, just one box should suffice. If you're going for a more troop heavy build or higher points, maybe two boxes would suit you, but after that it's just signing up for a ton more painting or tiny little details. If that's your deal go for it, but most people will find one box is all they need and then some.